Homeless Student Services

If school-aged children live in any of the following situations:

  • in a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground,

  • on the street,

  • in an abandoned building or other inadequate accommodations, or

  • doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing.

Then, these children have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act of 2001.


Homeless Liaison:
Kaylie Evans

They have the right to:

  • Go to school, no matter where they live or how long they have lived there. They must be given access to the same public education provided to other students.

  • Continue in the school they attended before they became homeless or the school they last attended, if that is the family’s choice and it is feasible. If a school sends the child to a school other than the one requested by the family, the school must provide the family with a written explanation and offer the parent/guardian the right to appeal the decision.

  • Receive transportation to the school they attended before the family became homeless or the school they last attended, if the guardian requests such transportation.

  • Attend a school and participate n school programs with children who are not homeless.

  • Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay enrollment.

  • Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for ht transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.

  • Enroll and attend classes in the school of their choice even while the school and family seek to resolve a dispute over enrolling the children.

  • Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other students served in these programs.

  • Receive transportation to school and to school programs.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where can homeless children and youth attend school?
A: The school in which the child or youth was last enrolled (school of origin).
    The school in the attendance area where the child or youth is temporarily living.
Q: Can students experiencing homelessness be denied enrollment if the parent/guardian does not  have proof of residency?
A: No. The parent/guardian may sign an affidavit stating that the family is staying in temporary conditions.
Q: What if the parent/guardian does not have the school records for a child experiencing homeless?

  • Ask that the homeless child or youth be enrolled in school until the records arrive.

  • Ask that a student’s immunization records be transferred over the phone from the sending school to the receiving school

  • Contact the principal or homeless liaison with any concerns.

Useful Links for Educators and Parents